You know that feeling you get when you step onto Main Street, not knowing what good things are coming your way that day, but knowing in your heart it's just going to be amazing? That is how I feel about this new place...full of hope...full of anticipation! We hope to find Disney creatives just like you and me all over the globe. We're all about to put one foot down and step right out into the infinite possibilities and magic that life has to offer us. Those of us who love Walt's story and the history of those early years at Disney seem to love having deep conversations about it together, and then to be able to add creative play too? It sounds like a real wonderland. Of course, there will be lots of other delightful activities going on, not to mention all the art goodies you'll receive. I am committed to putting my Mickey shaped heart in this and give it everything I've got. I hope you'll join me, it just won't be the same without you!
For those of you who join us in December (before the Happy Place officially opens for our monthly offerings January 5th), I've got some surprise goodies waiting for you in the clubhouse! Here is a sneak peek at just two of the bonuses. That's right, I'll be sending you a hand-painted, hand-written watercolored postcard.
Q: Who is this for?
A: Anyone who LOVES the details of Disney, from the patterns in the wallpaper to the hidden stories and history in movies and the theme parks. It's for anyone who wants to learn how to incorporate Disney into their creative pursuits (whatever they may be) and bring the magic home. Plus, can I just mention here how much fabulous art you'll be able to collect?
Q: Do I have to be an artist to join? I can't draw a straight line?
A: Nosirree, you absolutely don't have to be a "traditional" artist to play along with us. I am a firm believer that EVERYONE is creative and that you will find plenty of inspiration to "bring the magic home" in whatever creative pursuits you love (cooking, sewing, mother extraordinaire, rockstar office manager, business owner). Oh and about that straight line? Awesome! You'll rarely find a straight line around here.
Q: What things will you teach us?
A: Here is just a small overview of some of the adventures we have in store:
- Our main objective is helping you "bring the magic home" into your everyday life through ideas, art, and creative play
- We'll share our love of mixed-media, art journaling, watercolor, and urban sketching, memory keeping & more
- We believe that everyone can learn to draw, and we'll show you how one tiny step at a time (don't let this scare you, just try it along with us!)
- We will have plenty of guest artists sharing their particular skills
- Sharing Disney history and encouraging reflection on how these ideas and lessons can shape (and have shaped) your own life
- Showing you how to notice the details and relating stories about why those details were chosen by Imagineers to complete the experience
- Making art and journaling in the Disney Parks (or at least help you to identify and capture content & memories that will help you journal when you get home!)
- If you don't go to the parks that often we'll teach you how to apply all these same principles to your favorite Disney movies, songs, and stories
- We also hope that demonstrating these techniques will help you apply these lessons to your daily life when you visit your own city or plan a non-Disney trip
- Lots of "grand adventures" and fun too (like trivia games, contests, giveaways, etc.)
Q: What happens if I want to cancel? (And is there a time commitment?)
A: Oh my, we'll be sad to see you go! But we do understand. Canceling is EASY just click on "my account" in the classroom and hit the cancel button. Also, there is no time commitment or contract, stay a month and play or stay forever!
Q: I have a question not listed here?
A: We'd love to help you out, just email us firstname.lastname@example.org!
Q: So what are the bonuses waiting for me in the clubhouse you keep mentioning?
A: Well, we really wanted to surprise you! (And we aren't going to show you everything, that would spoil the fun, but here is a sneak peek!)
A very special thank you to Trista H., Cindy S., and Stacy C. for their instrumental help in writing this page.
The Happy Place is not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Disney Company. We are simply fans sharing with fans.
Disneyland Urban Sketching, Disney World Urban Sketching