December 2019 Art Journaling the Magic No. 13 Anaheim, California
There is only 1 spot left for this workshop and we have already increased the number of spots available.
“We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
I want to invite you to a retreat that focuses on the magic of Disney as a place born of determination and imagination. Many people have had huge dreams but Walt Disney took action and moved forward in his. We can learn many great lessons from the dreams he brought to life. Become a child again and enjoy Disney like you never have before, documenting the “magic”, art journaling style. Join me as we slow down, notice the small details and are swept up in the energy of innovation, invention and creativity. You may even find a huge boost of inspiration and encouragement to follow your own dreams.
The very basics of what we’ll be doing:
First, we'll get to know each other in our online classroom where you have access to watercolor and sketch lessons (you DON’T have to know how to draw right now, I promise!). Then we'll see you at our live workshop night (packed with demos and instruction) Monday, December 2nd at a local hotel or restaurant [TBA]! We'll also have a few days of scheduled meetups at Disneyland to practice everything we've learned together as friends with our travel sized art journaling kits, focusing on the magic of the parks. We’ll also be collecting “collage fodder” (receipts, bags, tags, stickers, maps, and postcards…anything you want) to incorporate into our journals. We will show you quick and easy ways to make an art journal full of memories on the go that you can apply to any situation in your life.
Dates for the workshop:
- December 2nd, 2019 (Monday): Exclusive dinner & art party with Tangie, Brittney Leavitt & Mindy Lacefield (our guest teachers!) at a local restaurant [TBA]
- December 3rd-5th, 2019 (Tues-Thurs): Live Meetups at Disneyland and California Adventure in California
- December 6th, 2019 (Friday) Mid-morning journaling party meetup at Disneyland (the rest of the day is yours to play)
This is a unique opportunity to share our love of art and/or Disney in a whole new way with like-minded people!
Workshop (& Art Kit with Journal) $579 includes these magical adventures:
WITHIN 24 HOURS:
- You get exclusive access to our before we go greenroom & classroom which also includes access to "A Walk in the Park" online class and "Explorations in Watercolor" online class ($96 Value!)
MONDAY: Meet the Artists--Dinner, Class & Art Party Celebration
- Monday, December 2nd from 5 PM-9 PM.
- Come hang out with Tangie, Brittney Leavitt & Mindy Lacefield as we dive right into the art the very first night! You can watch us work in our own journals and see how we create our magic inspired pages. Plus, we'll host live painting demos during the class that you won't see anywhere else! We'll also have practice pages, art challenges and more!
- You will receive an exclusive gift
TUESDAY-FRIDAY: 4 Days of Art Journaling Meetups at the Parks*
- Tuesday-Thursday during park hours,1 park per day [2 days at Disneyland, 1 day at California Adventure]
- Friday-Mid-Morning-through Lunch Journaling Party TBA [The rest of the day is for you to sketch or play]
- We are THRILLED to be able to spend time together at "The Happiest Place on Earth"
- As a group of friends, we'll do sketchbook walks each day (these are not vigorous walks, and there will be benches along the way). It's a chance to put what we've learned into action.
- We'll help answer your art-related questions and help you troubleshoot any issues you're having in your journals.
- Let's talk about our dreams, goals, and ideas for life or business. Art has an amazing capacity to help us accomplish great things, share with us your thoughts and dreams, and we will cheer you on as you record some of these in your new journal.
We love happy, positive students who understand that sometimes schedules need to be adjusted due to crowds, weather and group health. We love students that can make the most of such an amazing opportunity to be together. We are committed in every way to a workshop environment online and at our meetups that fosters kindness, respect, understanding, and is free from gossip and profanity. It's all about the incredible magic, and we want our students to have an amazing experience with amazing people!
(actual kit may vary, it changes every retreat to bring you the latest and greatest)
Also includes these amazing goodies:
- One of Dave’s hand-bound Golden Book Art journals which are made with 140 lb watercolor paper (your choice of cover!)
- Online access to our retreat backstage "green room", exclusively for our registered attendees! It includes “before we go” information, FAQs, packing lists, challenges & page samples.
- Exclusive 2019 Art Journaling the Magic zine style workbook printed in full color
Hotel is not included. Please feel free to stay in any hotel of your choosing, there are so many great choices for every budget. If you need a recommendation or help finding a hotel we're just an email away email@example.com.
You are responsible for getting your own Disneyland park ticket. You need a 4 day 1 park per day ticket. We leave acquiring tickets up to you as you may want more days at Disney than we are planning (for example going to the park Sunday or Saturday). If you need help choosing a ticket that is best for the workshop please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can email us your questions to email@example.com and we'll be happy to help you within 24 hours Monday-Saturday.
Q: Should I come alone or bring my family?
A: We highly recommend you come alone. We have seen the huge difference in experiences between those that come with their families and those who come on this adventure by themselves (or with a friend). When you come with your family you are constantly being torn in two (wanting to be with the group & wanting to be with them). Of course, it can be done, but we want to give our honest opinion. We promise if you do come on your own you won't feel lonely or awkward! There are new friends to make and if you've never been to the park by yourself, you're actually missing out on a really neat experience.
Q: I would like to find a roommate to share hotel expenses can you help me?
A: We can't guarantee to find you a roommate, but you will be able to post in the "backstage" area that you are looking for one! You can always let us know by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you're looking for one as well; it may help us put you in contact with someone else that we may know is looking. We'll do what we can to help, but ultimately it will be up to you find/choose a roommate that will work for your situation.
Q: I have health issues and I'm not sure I can keep up?
A: We understand and we want to assure you that we aren't doing the park in the "traditional" style of racing from one place to the next. This adventure is about slowing down and soaking up the magic of the parks. There are also breaks for free time so that you can rest all you need. (Or, if you are a "racer" you can race around all you want during free time.)
Q: I haven't been to the parks in years, are we going to visit all the attractions?
A: If you haven't been to the park in a really long time we highly suggest that you come a day early or plan on staying a day late if you can, this way you can make sure you see everything you want! We do visit some of the attractions as a group (and take sketchbook walks), but our main purpose is to journal and enjoy the park's magic. There is scheduled free time for you to visit your favorite attractions as well. (We usually go on Pirates, It's a Small World and watch some of the shows together as these are conducive to groups.)
Q: Are you going to be able to help me draw better, I have anxiety about my ability as an artist?
A: The answer to this one is tricky! We will be able to teach you how to conquer that blank page and get started, we'll also share tips and tricks with you on how we journal at the parks (and basic technique, of course). We'll also do our best to spark your imagination and get you excited to draw! However, there is a certain amount of practice required (it takes time to build your talents). Your pages will be AMAZING because you are a unique person, but they may not be what you consider "perfect" your first try. It's part "jump in and try" and part "jump in and keep trying" that really makes you a better artist. We have ALL levels of artists join us; from stick figures to full realistic portraits, everyone is welcome and we will do our best to help you with your specific needs/questions. The group is very supportive of each other and I am confident that those who "let go" and just enjoy the process instead of stressing about the results have the best time at these retreats!
It is very important that you understand we are not selling a private tour of any kind or access to any particular person. You are paying for instruction, access to the green room, demos, challenge sheets, custom journal and so many more goodies more which are all delivered outside of the parks. Inside the parks, we are not selling anything or delivering paid physical goods. This workshop is not affiliated with, nor endorsed by the Walt Disney Company